15 Water Street

P.O. Box 220,

Brigus, NL A0A 1K0

Tel / Fax (709) 528-4588

E-Mail : brigus@eastlink.ca



RV Camping Form
Award Winning Community

Come Spend a day in the historic seaside Town of Brigus,visiting our Historic Sites and strol the winding streets.Winner of Tidy Town's most picturesque town in 1997 and 2002.Brigus received four out of five blooms in the National Communities in Bloom. Please find listed below recognized achievements 

1675 - Census lists three planters (settlers) named Gifford, Carter, and Webb. Gifford and Webb are married with children and while Carter has no wife he is listed as having one son and one daughter.

1677 –– Census records that the planters at Brigus are employing fourteen servants, have three dwelling houses, five store rooms and lodgings, four boats, three stages, one garden, and are keeping twelve head of cattle and eleven hogs. Community produce is 580 quintals of fish.

1697 - Brigus surrenders to the French forces d'Iberville and is burnt.

1705 (January) –– Brigus is again attacked and burned by the French under de Montigny forces during their attack on the Avalon Peninsula.

1720’’s (early) –– The first accounting house was established by Stephen Percey.

1760 –– Azariah Munden replaces Stephen Percey as principal merchant.

1803 - John Percey Brigus resident, is ordained as the first native born Methodist minister in Newfoundland.

1807 - The first Methodist school is built.

1819 –– The first Newfoundland––made sealing schooner ( over 100 tons) is built by Captain William Munden. The schooner is named "The Four Brothers".

1832 –– The first Roman Catholic church is built.

1836 –– The population consists of 1218 residents.

1845 –– The population of Brigus combined with nearby Frogmarsh increases to 1,582 people. There are 140 boats at Brigus of which 39 are sealing vessels. Two-hundred and twenty-six students are enrolled at the three schools in Brigus.

1857 –– Census reports that Brigus is engaged in sealing and the fishery, 167 boats and 38 sealing vessels are in operation that year.

1861 –– St. Joseph’’s Convent altered is erected.

1870 –– St. George’’s Church of England Church is finished.

1872 –– Fifteen ships from Brigus are engaged in the seal hunt.

1874 –– The population totals 1,975. Of these 1,179 men are involved in the seal fishery. Fishermen at Brigus also cure cod, to a total value of $20,456.

1875 - World famous arctic explorer Bob Bartlett is born at Brigus.

1880’’s –– J. P. Howley conducts a survey at Brigus and finds non-commercial gold in quartz veins and slate.

1891 –– The population is 1,541.

1901 - The population decreases to 1,162 residents. The traditional means of income begins to decline, including the Labrador fishery that once flourished.

1912 –– American artist Rockwell Kent has a summer residence at Brigus. He is later deported for allegedly being a spy.

1921 –– The population of Brigus is 936. Seven vessels and seventeen small boats are involved in the inshore fishery.

1953 –– A knitting mill is established as an alternate industry to produce knit ware for local and export market. The mill is later closed because of its insufficient markets.

1964 (July 21) - Brigus is incorporated. Fred Bartlett is elected as Mayor of the first town council.

1967 - Centennial of Confederation, Government of newfoundland and labrador

1988 - Newfoundland & labrador Summer Games Torch Relay, Petro canada torch relay newfoundland & labrador summer games committee

1988 - Picture of the Ernestina ex Effie M. Morrissey given with pride and affection by the Captain and crew of the Ernestina / Morrissey

1989 - 25 year of Incorporation

1990 - Town of Brigus Municipal Crest unveiled at the Library Memorial University

1992 - Outstanding contribution by The Right Honorable Ramon John Hnatyshyn, Govern General of Canada

1996 - Newfoundland & labrador summer games torch relay by Petro Canada torch relay Newfoundland & Labrador Summer Games Committee

1997 - First place Tidy Towns Recognizing Tidiness, Natural Beauty & Community Involvement

1997 - Environmental Award presented by Dept of Environment & Labour of Newfoundland and labrador / Women’s Institute

1998 - 4 out of 5 blooms Recognition for heritage conservation throught the Communities in Bloom National Competition

1999 - Exchange partnership with norman wells with assistance from Federation of Canadian Municipalities

1999 - 4 out of 5 blooms Recognition for landscape areas throught the Communities in Bloom National Competition

2000 - 4 out of 5 blooms Recognition for heritage conservation throught the Communities in Bloom National Competition

2001 - 4 out of 5 blooms Recognition for heritage conservation throught the Communities in Bloom National Competition

2002 - First place tidy towns Recognizing tidiness, natural beauty & community involvement

2003 - 4 out of 5 blooms Recognition for heritage conservation throught the Communities in Bloom National Competition